Today I give thanks for new recipes!
My friend, Karin, gave me two french toast recipes. She brought one to our Neighborhood breakfast and we all loved it. Because she has two recipes she likes she sent them both to me.
French Toast Casserole
* Cube (or tear) a loaf of French bread and place in a greased 9x13 pan
* Mix 8 eggs, 3 cups milk, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl
* Pour over bread and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight
* Pull casserole out of refrigerator 30 min. before baking
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cube 3 Tablespoons of butter and dot the top of casserole
* Mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle on top of butter
* Bake for 45-50 min. or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
* Enjoy with warm syrup and powdered sugar!
** I added nuts even though the recipe doesn't call for them.
Overnight French Toast
- 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 loaf brioche or challah (French toast can also be sliced 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 8 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup pecans, measured then chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- (optional) maple syrup and powdered sugar for topping
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar and melted butter and pour on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Arrange slices of bread in the baking dish overlapping if necessary.
- Combine milk, eggs, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and ginger in a bowl and pour evenly over bread slices.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans over bread slices.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 4-12 hours.
- In the morning, take the casserole out of the fridge for at least 10 minutes while you are preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake casserole for 30-35 minutes. If top starts browning too quickly place a foil loosely over the top of the casserole for the last 10 minutes or so. You want it to cook long enough to make sure the bottom part is cooked but don't dry it out completely.
- Remove casserole from oven and let it cool slightly before serving. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar and a drizzle of maple syrup.