Wednesday, January 23, 2013

National Pie Day!


Today is National Pie Day.  I couldn't let this day pass without baking a pie. I tried a new recipe, Warm Apple-Buttermilk Custard Pie! Doesn't that sound good? Here is the recipe!


1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts (I made mine because I love home made ones)
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, divided
  • 2 Granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
  • 3/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

  • Preparation

    1. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch pieplate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of piecrust with a fork.
    2. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add apple, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cook, sitrring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or until apple is tender; set aside.
    3. Beat 1/4 cup butter and 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. A eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears. Add 2 tablespoons flour and vanilla, beating until blended. Add buttermilk, beating until smooth.
    4. Spoon apple mixture into piecrust; pour buttermilk mixture over apple mixture.
    5. Bake at 300º for 30 minutes. Stir 3 tablespoons butter, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle over pie. Bake 40 more minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 1 hour before serving.
    Enjoy!
    Photobucket Image Hosting

    4 comments:

    Patty Sumner said...

    Well, Elaine my hubby
    s favorite sweet is a pie.. I have never really been good at baking pies. He especially loves chocolate and lemon pies...Your apple pie sounds delicious.. I just told him today was National Pie day...naturally he said, "Where's my pie". I guess I am just a little to late for National Pie day..lol. Blessings and send a piece of that apple my way!

    Unknown said...

    I was surprise to see apple in the recipe, but like it!

    Little Birdie Blessings said...

    This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe and visual piece of pie. ~ Abby

    Kathryn D. Duke said...

    I'm trying this one...man does it look good!!!