Friday, December 11, 2009

Autumn Chowder...









It has been very cold here in Texas and I always like soup on cold days. Yesterday I was looking through my Taste of Home Soup cookbook and found this recipe.  I doubled it as I was feeding three and we ate almost all of it.  It is very easy to make.  We loved it and I will definitely make it again!  Hope you enjoy!


Autumn Chowder
     ~~from Taste of Home

2 bacon strips, diced
1/4 cup chopped onion (I did not use)
1 medium red potato, cubed
1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1/2 cup water
3/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1 cup milk
2/3 cup frozen corn
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cold water
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add the potato, carrot, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.

Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes longer. Combine the flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 2 servings.










0 comments: